Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Savoring The Moment

There are several things about my daily routine with my kids that I love. I love seeing their sweet, happy faces in the morning, I love their laughter, I love playing with them, I love teaching them, I love watching them explore and discover the world around them. But there is one thing in particular that I have been loving lately, savoring really, and it's those few groggy moments after they wake up from their naps.

My kids both sleep until about 7/7:15 in the morning, and then they play and "talk" (Declan talks, Inara babbles) to each other in their room for a while after that while I have my quite time and get myself ready for the day. Sean goes in to say goodbye to them before he heads to work (about 7:40am) and then I go in shortly after that to get them up, nursed, diapered, pottied and dressed. All this to say, I don't get to interact with them when they first wake up in the morning. My first interaction with them is quite a while after they have woken up, so, that is why I have come to love the after nap moments.

I usually have to wake them up from their naps (they sleep from about 1:30-3:30) because we don't want them sleeping past 4:00 since that means that they won't want to go to sleep at bedtime. So I go into their room and just watch their beautiful, precious faces in perfect contentment. Then I go and give Declan kisses on his cheeks and nuzzle his soft, warm skin. After that I will go to Inara and gently rub her back or her head and savor the velvety-ness of her hair. I can almost always simply turn off the fan in their room and they will begin to stir and will eventually look at me with sleepy eyes and I just want to eat their rosy cheeks. I then lay my head down next to Declan's, giving his cheeks more kisses and proceed with even more nuzzling; which elicits cuddles and hugs from him, which in turn melts my heart. As he continues to wake up I will go get Inara (who has by now stood up in her crib and is more than likely waving and saying "Hi" to me) and I scoop her into my arms and she lays her head on my shoulder and we cuddle, and I make sure to give her chubby cheeks plenty of kisses as well. And it's wonderful. I love it. It is the moment I am cherishing and savoring now, so that I can remember it in the years to come.






No comments:

Post a Comment