Saturday, March 24, 2012

Getting in Shape witih Baby

There is nothing quite like carrying your own child in your womb. It is a beautiful, amazing thing to experience. On top of that, nursing your child solidifies that bond that formed while he/she was in urtero. I am so thankful that nursing came easily to both Declan and myself. As the weeks and months after delivery progressed and I continued to nurse him, I was amazed at how quickly my tummy started shrinking. Then as I added activity back into my routine, my tummy go even smaller. When Declan was about 4 months old I was out of my maternity clothes and back down to my pre-pregnancy weight. I couldn't believe it. I thought it would take closer to a year to lose all the weight. Nursing, eating well, and staying active is a great weight loss combo.
But, I got to thinking. What happens when I stop nursing? How do I keep that closeness and the bond strong between myself and my baby, AND continue to keep off the weight? I'd even like to see myself get in better shape than I was BEFORE getting pregnant. Especially before we try for #2. :)
One day Sean mentioned to me that he's heard of mom's exercising with their babies. That they use their babies to help them get back in shape. I thought that sounded interesting, so I did some research.
According to information I found on babyzone.com, working out with your baby encourages bonding because you are building confidence, self awareness, a human connection and love in your child. You are also helping them develop cognitive and physical abilities. Perfect! But I wanted to know how. What was the best way to accomplish this.
Well, the same website also had some recommendations by a personal trainer in NYC, Stefan Aschan, and here are a few of them.
Baby Bench Press - Lie on your back holding your baby above your chest with your arms straight. Lower your elbows, keeping your arms close to sides. Then extend your arms straight up. Repeat while smiling and making funny faces with your child.
Kiss Push Up - Arrange yourself in the push up position. Lay baby flat on his back near your head. Raise and lower your body in the traditional push up position. Kiss your baby on the way down.
Yoga Ball Bounce - Sit on an exercise/yoga ball with baby on your lap. Bounce up and down keeping abs engaged.

*Most doctors & midwives suggest waiting until your six week postnatal check up before beginning to exercise, so best to consult them before doing any activities*

Declan and I have had fun trying these three exercises. He especially loves the yoga ball bounce. He thinks it's funny to be bouncing up and down! I know there is so much more out there to try, so if you are interested, do some research, or even make some exercises up on your own! Most of all have fun bonding with your baby and getting in shape!

*If your baby is still too small to be doing these exercises with, simply try baby wearing. It actually burns calories and helps baby establish a secure attachment to mom.* (Helen Byrne founder of BeFit-Mom)

1 comment:

  1. This is pretty neat... I like the idea of bonding, and getting fit at the same time! I think you look great, but good for you for having the motivation to get in even better shape. Keep us updated on your progress! :)

    ReplyDelete